Sunday, September 30, 2018

Cuidado Infantil Lake County, The Child Care Network of Lake County,

 Si prefiere ver la información de este blog en  español vaya a  

Cuidado Infantil Lake County

Busquenos en facebook en

To see the information of this blog only en Spanish go to  Cuidado Infantil Lake County

Look for us also in facebook: 

To see the information of this blog en English and Spanish go to The Child Care Network of Lake County

 Si prefiere ver la información de este blog en español e inglés vaya a The Child Care Network of Lake County

Saturday, June 30, 2018


The form Do you want to open a day care? A Self-Assessment Guide to Determine Readiness to Enter the Licensing Process has changed August 12. Get the new form from the Licensing Process

Also you need to send proof or be register with in the Gateways Registry. The best way is ussing the internet. Also you can download the form and send it by mail, but it will delate your registration one month. To register go to Gateways Registry
CFS 718-3 Background Check Roster/Registro de Verificación de Antecedentes
CFS 718-E Authorization For Background Check For Employees/Volunteers of Child Care Facilities
CANTS 22 Acknowledgment of Mandated Reporter Status Form
CFS 602 Medical Report on an Adult in a Child Care Facility For child care providers and people living in a child care facility. Good for 3 years. This for is the authorization to check records of people living or working in a License Exent Home Day Care 5 Written Confirmation of Suspected Child Abuse/Neglect Report: Mandated Reporters This form is not part of the license application. Use this form to send written confirmation to DCFS after making a report of abuse / neglect. If you live in Lake County must send it to DCFS, attention: Child Protective Services, 500 N Greenbay Rd, Waukegan IL 60085. You can find more information in the Mandated Reporter Mannual


To see all DHS form, you can go to Look the forms by the number. Child Care Manual, including updated forms in English and Spanish, eligibility limits, amounts paid to child care providers, people counted as family members, teenager or student care, family income, special cases.
Forms you need to fill for every child you have in care. One for each child

IL444-3455 (R-6-11) - Child Care Application (pdf). Child care application, English.

IL444-3514 (N-1-11) - Wage Verification (pdf) For parent who are paid cash, o who have not worked sufficient time to have pay stubs.

IL444-3527 (N-3-11) Change of information Use this form to report DHS any change in your information, including address, family members, income, time of work of care.

Wednesday, June 6, 2018

DCFS forms available online for child care


This page includes all DCFS forms available online. Forms are available for view in either or both of the following formats:
  • Adobe Acrobat (pdf)
  • MS Word for Windows (doc)


CFS Forms

Monday, August 29, 2016

Your small business infrastructure

5 Things You Need For Your Small Business Infrastructure

5 Things You Need For Your Small Business Infrastructure
When you first start a business, you have your work cut out for you. Not only do you have to figure out if you have a viable product that people will actually pay you for, but you have to also find your customers, manage administrative tasks and deal with your staff, if you have one. Get started by building your infrastructure with this important checklist.

Checklist for Building Your Business Infrastructure

1. A Blogging Platform
One of the first marketing tasks you should put on your list is to create a business blog. WordPress makes it easy (and it’s free. Bonus!). This content management system doesn’t require a degree in rocket science to use, and will make creating consistent content for your audience a breeze.

Bonus Tip: Not only is WordPress great for your blog, but it also can be the platform for your website. More and more people are using it to create easily-manageable websites with professional templates rather than shelling out a ton of money to a web designer.

2. Accounting Software
It is imperative that you have a system to manage your finances in place from the start. Accounting software like FreshBooks or QuickBooks simplifies keeping up with your expenses, and you can do other cool things like invoice clients, pay vendors and track your time spent on client projects.
Bonus Tip: Open a bank account for your business so you separate your company’s finances from your personal accounts. This will make tax time a lot easier too.

3. Customer Relationship Management Software
Every small business needs CRM. Being able to track emails and conversations with potential customers and monitor their activity on social media can help you make more sales. You might only have a few customers early on, but as your business grows, those numbers will increase, and it will become harder to manage them all without a great CRM system in place.

Bonus Tip: Some CRMs on the market double as a project management tool, so use it to assign yourself and your team tasks related to marketing and sales.

4. Social Media Profiles
Before you say that you don’t need social media accounts so early in the game, consider that 65 percent of adults have social profiles. If you’re trying to reach your audience, chances are they’re spending significant time on sites like Facebook and Instagram. Keep your profile updated with relevant content, special offers and interaction with other users, and you’ll likely see a bump in traffic to your website.

Bonus Tip: Only set up accounts on two to three social channels where you know your audience spends time. Any more than that, and you’ll have trouble keeping up with all your accounts (which won’t do you any good if your customers aren’t there).

5. Cloud Storage
Storing documents on your computer is so 2010. Now there are cloud-based platforms like Dropbox,Google Drive and Box that allow you to create and/or store documents, photos, videos and more in the cloud. This frees up your computer, helping it run faster. You can also access these documents from anywhere and on any device, as well as share them with others for collaboration purposes.

Bonus Tip: Get into the habit of saving your documents directly to your cloud storage rather than locally and then making a backup copy of them. You’ll free up even more space on your computer. Most come with a downloadable version of the software that will place a folder shortcut in your navigation, which makes storing your documents online a breeze.

These are just a few of the tools that can help you start off on the right foot with your new business. Over time, find other apps and software that can make your work easier, and you’ll have more time to focus on strategizing how to grow your new endeavor!

Friday, July 1, 2016

Enforce the rules

How To You Enforce a Rule You Haven’t Enforced Before

4670939397_0160f9c382_zMost family child care providers have a written contract and policies that spell out rules they expect parents to follow.
But, it’s common for many providers to fail to consistently enforce their own rules.
Here’s some examples:
A provider’s contract says parents must pay on Friday for the following week, but the provider regularly accepts payments on Monday.

A provider’s contract says there is a $1 a minute late pick up fee, but the provider has never charged parents who pick up late.

A parent is violating a provider’s policies in a variety of ways: bringing toys from home, not notifying the provider on days when the child is not coming to care, not taking off her shoes when entering the provider’s home, or not leaving the child home when the child is sick.

If you have not been consistently enforcing your contract or policies and now want to start doing so, what should you do?
The short answer is: Start enforcing your rules now!
You can say to parents, “I know I haven’t been consistently enforcing all of my rules in the past. Starting next Monday I will strictly enforcing my contract and policies. Here’s another copy of them. If you have any questions, let me know.”
Parents may not like to hear this. If they complain about your new position, tell them, “I can understand your concern about my not enforcing my rules consistently. But, I’ve decided things will run more smoothly if we both follow the terms of our agreement. I appreciate your cooperation going forward.”
It’s your business and your rules. And, it’s your responsibility to enforce them.
To enforce your rules you need to give the parent a consequence for not following your rules.
For example, the consequence for not paying on Friday might be a late payment fee. The consequence of bringing toys or not giving advance notification of an absence can be a financial penalty ($25 per violation) or a three strikes and you are out policy.
If a parent continues to violate your policies you need to either terminate the parent’s contract or change your policies to allow the parent to do what they want.
Parents are much more likely to follow your rules if you consistently enforce them!
You should also pay attention to be sure that you are following your own rules. Review your contract and policies at least once a year. Maybe you aren’t following a rule: not going on one field trip a month, not getting identification before allowing a non-parent to pick up the child, or violating the privacy of parents by sharing information about them with others, etc.
If you find that you are violating your own policies, either get rid of the policy or start following it immediately!
You can always change your contract and policies if they no longer suit your purposes. Any change to a contract must be in writing and signed by both parties. You can make changes to your policies without a parent signature if it’s a separate document from your contract.
Don’t kick yourself in the head about what you did or didn’t do in the past. Let it go. It doesn’t matter now.
Look ahead and start enforcing your rules now.
Tom Copeland –

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Parents and friends?

Are Parents Your “Friends”?
By Tom Copeland. Posted with permission
Family child care providers are in the caring profession and caring for children is a very personal service.
You probably know more personal information about the families in your care than most of their friends do.
Does this mean the parents in your program are your “friends”? Not in my opinion.
Does your business card say, “Need a Friend?” Does your contract say, “By signing this contract provider agrees to be a friend to the parent”? I don’t think so.
Parents aren’t looking for friends. They are looking for someone to care for their child.
Sometimes, however, parents may appear to want a “friendship” with you. Maybe they want to “hang out” with you, or go out to eat, or they start sharing very personal information that you are uncomfortable listening to.
This can become a problem when the parents try to take advantage of your “friendship” by not paying on time or not following all of your policies.
It can also be a problem if you start treating the parent like a friend and then expect the parent to be your friend. In other words, it can be easy for providers to become personally involved in the lives of the families in their care. You may offer personal advice about their private lives or bend over backwards to assist them in a variety of ways that are not directly related to the care of their child.
There is nothing inherently wrong with this. The problem comes when you expect the parent to treat you like a friend in return. When this doesn’t happen you are setting yourself up for disappointment and a disruption of your business relationship.
Draw the line
It’s up to you to draw the line between a business relationship and a personal relationship. Nothing prevents you from going shopping with a parent on Saturday or sharing a meal on Sunday. However, for the hours you are caring for the parent’s child, you are running a business.
Sometimes this can be a hard line to draw. Providers don’t want to appear to be unsympathetic, uncaring or even unfriendly. But, there is a difference between being friendly and being friends.
Here are some tips about drawing this line:
  • Clearly set your rules when parents first enroll
  • Enforce your rules consistently, particularly about payments and pick up times
  • Limit the opportunities for small talk at pickup times by having other things to do
  • Politely ignore or rebuff friendship attempts. One provider recommended saying, “I’m so flattered, but I’ve found it best not to mix business and pleasure. Have a great weekend.” Or “I already have plans.”
If you haven’t been doing this things, you can start now.
How do you manage this problem?
Tom Copeland –
Image credit: